Saturday, March 10, 2018

Kirateshwar Mahadev

I was born and brought up here, and I with millions of other Kathmandunians fit the Nepali says "Kuwa ko Bhyguta" or a Toad of a Pond if you literally translate. Never been outside of Kathmandu, very much soaked up in our own little world and confined to commute between home to office slash home to school slash home to college.

For the first time in how many years, I won't tell you, or you know my age, which I am not so happy about at the moment talking about where I am in life career wise and relationship status wise, pun not intended, this was my first visit to Kirateshwar. I had seen many photos of relatively huge red phallus (if I am allowed to say that) carved OM on it, centring rotunda type room, many women in red worshipping it with the regular ritual offerings, a Sadhu Maharaj on the side singing his bhajans or waiting for his turn to collect alms from visitors. But I had not visited the place before and also didn't know this god was Kirateshwar.

Once you are done worshipping at Gauri Ghat after you go to Kirateshwar before you go to Guheswari temple followed by Pashupatinath, the Dev of Devas (Lord of the Lords). Taking stairs uphill about 200 meters, you reach rather unusual Shiva Linga Palace, where God Shiva resides in the manifestation of Lord Kirateshwar. It is just one house that has Him and pilgrims go round and round offering there best of prayers, especially on the holy month of Magh. You have bhajan mandali, devotional song singers too.

Location: Near Guheswari Temple
Getting There: Walking distance of 10 minutes from Chahabil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pashupatinath Temple

These days one can pay Rs 15,000 and conduct evening  aarati  at Pashupatinath temple. I don't know who introduced this tradition in...